The prize of $300 is awarded annually for the best graduate student paper on any aspect of East Asian anthropology and/or East Asian anthropology’s contribution to the broader field.
The Prize Committee welcomes all papers dealing with the anthropological study of East Asian societies and cultures, or other societies/cultures and diasporic and transnational communities with historical or contemporary ties to East Asia, including papers that focus on digital media or online ethnography. Papers will be read by a committee of the Society for East Asian Anthropology and judged on original empirical research and contribution to the field; organization, quality, clarity of writing, and cogency of argument. The author of the paper judged to be of the highest quality will receive the prize.
The Outstanding Graduate Student Paper prize committee consists of Committee Chair Sonia Ryang (Rice University), Tim Quinn (Rice University), and Yookyeong Im (Harvard University).
The manuscript should be submitted as an email attachment to the Chair of the SEAA Graduate Student Paper Prize Committee at sonia.ryang[at]rice.edu. Deadline is June 15, 2022. No late entries will be accepted.
General eligibility criteria:
- Students must be in a degree-granting program (including MA or PhD) at the time of their submission.
- Paper must be the original work of the student and previously unpublished.
- Limit one submission per student.
Manuscript format criteria:
- All manuscripts must be typed, double-spaced, with one inch margins.
- Maximum length for the body of the text is up to 7,000 words; the abstract, tables, notes, and references may constitute additional pages.
- All submissions must follow the standard anthropological format for citations, endnotes, and “References Cited” as outlined in the American Anthropologist style guide.
- Dissertation or thesis chapters should be reorganized as articles that can stand alone.
- Authors must include a title and also an abstract of 250 words or less on the first page of the paper.
- One email attachment of the manuscript is to be submitted to the Chair of the SEAA Graduate Student Paper Prize Committee at at sonia.ryang[at]rice.edu. Deadline is June 15, 2022. No late entries will be accepted, and submissions will not be returned.
- Entries that do not conform to the above requirements will not be considered.